ASRB ARS Exam Pattern 2012
Exam Pattern for ASRB Agricultural Research Service Examination 2012 :
Detail Plan of ASRB ARS Examination 2012 :
Two separate ASRB Competitive Written Examinations followed by viva – voce shall be conducted as per the following plan of ASRB examinations :
|ASRB ARS Examination 2012||Max. Marks||Duration|
|(a) ASRB ARS Preliminary Exam ( Objective Type )||150||2 Hours|
|(b) ASRB ARS Main Exam ( Descriptive Type )||240||3 Hours|
|(c) Viva – Voce||60||-|
(a). ASRB Preliminary ARS Examination Paper 2012 :
ASRB Preliminary ARS Examination shall have one paper of 150 marks with all objective questions to be solved in 2 hours ( Two hours ), from the respective professional subjects for which candidate has opted.
Minimum qualifying marks required in ASRB ARS Prelim Examination 2012 :
|Category of candidate||Minimum qualifying marks|
|ASRB ARS Prelim Exam||ASRB ARS Main Exam|
|General / OBC||60%||55%|
|SC / ST / Physically Challenged Person||50%||50%|
1 / 3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer in ASRB ARS Prelim Examination ( Objective Type ). The ASRB ARS examination will be held in 33 centres as given. This is a qualifying examination and marks scored will not be counted for final selection.
(b). ASRB ARS Main Examination Paper 2012 :
ASRB ARS Main Examination Paper will have only one paper of 240 marks to be completed in 3 hours duration. The ASRB ARS Exam Question paper shall be divided in three parts A, B and C. Part ‘ A ‘ will consists of 40 ( forty ) questions of 2 ( two ) marks each. In this part, answers required will be of very short, not exceeding 10 ( Ten ) words at the most. Part ‘ B ‘ will have 20 ( twenty ) questions of 5 ( five ) marks each requiring one or two paragraphs and / or graphic explanation. All ASRB ARS Exam questions in part ‘ A ‘ and ‘ B ‘ will be compulsory.
Part ‘ C ‘ will have 6 ( six ) essay type or descriptive type questions which are all compulsory. Each question will carry 10 ( ten ) marks and may have two or more parts. Answers are required to be written in the space provided below the question. In no case extra sheets will be provided.
The candidates clearing ASRB ARS Mains Examination will be called for Viva – voce in the ratio 1 : 5 subject to minimum 55% are obtained by General / OBC candidates and 50% marks are obtained by SC / ST / PC candidates in ARS Mains Examination ( Subjective type ).
Reserved candidates who qualify after availing relaxed standard and / or age relaxation shall render themselves ineligible for UR posts. They will be eligible only for the posts which are reserved in respective category in a particular discipline. The ASRB final selection of candidates will be made on the basis of marks obtained in the ASRB ARS Mains Examination and Viva – voce and will be recommended for appointment as Scientists in the Indian Council of Agricultural Research in the pay scale of 15,000 – 39,100 plus Research Grade Pay ( RGP ) of 6,000/-.
The candidates will be interviewed by a Board of competent and unbiased experts in the respective disciplines, who will have before them a record of his / her career. The object of the viva – voce is to assess his / her suitability for the Service for which he / she has competed.
The viva – voce is intended to supplement the ASRB ARS written examination for testing the general and specialized knowledge and abilities of the candidate. The candidate will be expected to have taken an intelligent interest not only in his / her own state or country, as well as in modern current of thought and in new discoveries, which should rouse the curiosity of well educated youth.
The technique of the viva – voce is not that of strict cross – examination, but of a natural, though directed and purposive conversation intended to reveal the candidate’s mental qualities and his / her grasp of problems. The Board will pay special attention to assessing the intellectual curiosity, critical powers of assimilation, balance of judgment and alertness of mind, the ability for social cohesion, integrity of character, initiative and capacity for leadership and scientific research.
ASRB Exam Syllabus for Preliminary ARS Examination and ARS Main Examination is available on ICAR website www.icar.org.in and ASRB website www.asrb.org.in
Examination Procedure for ASRB Agricultural Research Service Exam 2012 :
(i) The ASRB Preliminary ARS Examination is a qualifying examination. Candidates qualifying in the ASRB ARS Preliminary Examination only will be allowed to appear in the ASRB ARS Main Examination 2012.
(ii) Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the written ASRB ARS Main examination as may be fixed by the Board in their discretion shall be summoned for Viva – Voce for the Agricultural Research Service. After the Viva – Voce the candidates will be arranged by the Board in the order of merit in each category ( professional subject – wise ) as disclosed by the aggregate marks finally awarded to each candidate.
Candidates who obtain such minimum aggregate marks in the ASRB ARS written papers and Viva – Voce without fixing any minimum marks in Viva – Voce as may be fixed by the Board in their discretion shall be recommended for appointment to ARS in accordance with the number of vacancies intimated by the Council under each discipline. Based on the merit, the candidates belonging to reserved categories i.e. SC / ST / OBCs are also eligible to be considered against the unreserved vacancies, if no relaxation in age and no relaxation in qualifying marks either in ASRB ARS Prelim or in Main ARS or in both has been availed by such reserve category candidates. If any concession in age and relaxation in qualifying standard is availed, such candidates will be eligible for consideration only against ASRB vacancies reserved for them.
(iii) Rules for Tie – Breaker :
Wherever the two or more candidates have secured equal aggregate marks ( marks in written ARS Main Examination + Viva – voce ) the merit of the candidates shall be determined by applying the following Tie – Breaker Rules.
(a) Candidate securing more marks in the written ASRB ARS Main Examination will be ranked higher.
(b) In case where the marks mentioned at (a) above are equal, the candidate senior in age will be ranked higher.
(iv) Candidates belonging to the scheduled castes or the Scheduled Tribes may be recommended by the Board by a relaxed standard to make up the deficiency in the reserved quota subject to the relevant instructions on the subject and also subject to the fitness of these candidates for appointment to the Agricultural Research Service irrespective of their ranks in the order of merit at the ASRB ARS examination 2012.
(v) There is no provision for maintaining the select panel and therefore, the ASRB vacancies against which the recommended candidates do not join will not be filled up. The backlog ASRB vacancies will be filled up from the subsequent examinations.
(vi) The form and manner of communication of the result of the ASRB ARS examination to individual candidates shall be decided by the Board in their discretion and the Board will not enter into correspondence with them regarding the result.
(vii) Recommendation by the Board for appointment in the ASRB ARS will not be binding unless the Indian Council of Agricultural Research are satisfied after such enquiry as may be considered necessary that the candidate is suitable in all respects for appointment to the Service.
General Instructions for ASRB Agricultural Research Service Exam 2012 :
(a) ASRB ARS Exam Question paper can be answered either in English or in Hindi.
(b) Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances they will be allowed the help of a scribe to write the answer for them.
(c) If a candidate’s handwriting is not easily legible, a deduction will be made on this account from the total marks otherwise accruing to him.
(d) Marks will not be allotted for mere superficial knowledge.
(e) Credit will be given for orderly, effective and exact expression combined with due economy of words in all subjects of the ASRB ARS examination 2012.
Brief particulars relating to the Agricultural Research Service Exam 2012 :
1. Candidates selected for appointment to the service will be appointed as scientists in the service on probation for a period of two years which may be extended, if necessary.
2. Candidates selected on the basis of the ASRB ARS Competitive Examination shall be required to undergo an intensive course of study and training for a specified period.
3. On successful completion of the prescribed training, a candidate will be posted anywhere in India according to the Research priorities of the council. He will be liable to serve at the initial place of posting at least for a period of five years before seeking transfer on what so ever ground from that place / station.
4. Every trainee shall be required to execute a bond to serve the Council ( ICAR ) for a minimum period of 4 years from the date of appointment including the period of training. Failure to serve the ICAR for the stipulated period will render the candidate liable to refund to the Council a sum of 1,25,000/- ( Rupees one lakh twenty five thousand only ).
5. Any trainee found to be guilty of unbecoming conduct will be liable to be discharged even before completion of the period of training. Such a trainee will be liable to refund full amount of the emoluments paid to him / her during training period.
6. If in the opinion of the ICAR the work or conduct of the officer on probation is unsatisfactory or shows that he is unlikely to become efficient, the ICAR may discharge him forthwith. On completion of the period of probation or any extension, if it is found that a candidate is not fit for permanent appointment, he / she may be discharged.
7. Conditions of service, leave, pension, provident fund etc. for the members of service shall be as determined by the Council.
8. A Scientist is liable to serve anywhere in India or abroad.
9. Those candidates who have already been awarded Ph.D. / M. Phil Degree or have been granted certificate of admissibility to the award of the said research degree before joining ARS 2010 shall be granted 5 / 2 advance increments on production of the necessary documents on appointment.