Punjab State Civil Services Combined Competitive Examination 2012 Selection Process
Scheme of PSCSCCE Examination 2012 :
1. The selection process for filling posts in various departments based on the PSCSCCE 2012 will commence with inviting PPSC Civil Service Exam applications from the candidates, who fulfill the qualifying criteria. The candidates who apply in response to the advertisement for these posts will be registered by filling PPSC Civil Service Examination Online Application Form, a link of which is available on the website of the Punjab Public Service Commission www.ppsc.gov.in.
2. No candidate who applies for PSCSCEE Examination through any other means but through PPSC Civil Service Exam Online Application Form shall be eligible to take PSCSCCE Examination 2012. Candidates who register and fill in PPSC Recruitment Online Application Form, would be issued Admit Cards prior to the conduct of PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Examination on receipt of hard copy of their Punjab State Civil Service Exam applications as described in the instructions for filling up PPSC Vacancy Online Application Form 2012.
3. The candidature of the candidate shall be provisional till the time of verification of documents of the candidate at the time of viva – voce, when the candidate shall produce his / her original certificates for verifications by the Punjab Public Service Commission.
4. Any document / certificate / statement if found false or forge the candidature of the candidate may be rejected and further action taken as per law. Even if such an error is detected after selection of the candidate the same may be annulled.
5. Essential steps involved in the PPSC Selection Process are :
- Punjab State Civil Service Preliminary Competitive Examination ; and
- PPSC Civil Service Main Competitive Examination ( written and viva voce ).
- PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Examination 2012 :
1. The PPSC Preliminary Competitive Examination will consist of two papers i.e. Paper – I General Studies and Paper – II Civil Services Aptitude Test. The syllabus and other conditions for the PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Examination are given in subsequent paragraphs of these instructions.
2. Candidates equal to thirteen times of the total number vacancies requisitioned by the Government under sub – rule (1) of Rule 13 – A of Punjab Civil Services ( Executive Branch ) Rules, 1976 read with Punjab State Civil Services ( Appointment by Combined Competitive Examination ) Rules, 2009 may qualify for the PPSC Main Competitive Examination 2012.
3. Unless otherwise directed, a candidate shall attempt the Examination in English or Punjabi language.
4. The PPSC Preliminary Competitive Examination is designed to sift suitable candidates for the PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination. Marks obtained in the Punjab PSC Preliminary Competitive Examination by the candidates, who may be declared qualified for taking the PPSC Main Competitive Examination, shall Not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
5. The PPSC Civil Service Exam questions shall be answered by candidates on an Optical Marks Reader ( OMR ) sheet ;
6. All candidates are required to appear in both papers including Ex – servicemen candidates i.e. Paper I and Paper II of the PPSC Preliminary Competitive Examination are compulsory. Please visit the following link for syllabus and other instructions for PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Examination 2012 :
1. PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Exam Syllabus 2012 ( http://www.ppsc.gov.in/pdf/pcs2012/presyl.pdf ).
2. PSCSCCE Main Competitive Exam Syllabus 2012 ( http://www.ppsc.gov.in/pdf/pcs2012/mainsyl.pdf ).
3. Instructions for filling Punjab State Civil Service Exam Online Application Form 2012 ( http://www.ppsc.gov.in/pdf/pcs2012/oi.pdf ).
PSCSCCE Main Examination 2012 :
1. Candidates equal to 13 times the number of PPSC vacancies may be declared eligible to take PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination 2012.
2. The result of the PPSC Preliminary Competitive Examination along with the list of candidates, who qualify for taking the PPSC Main Competitive Examination, shall be published on the website of the Punjab Public Service Commission i.e. www.ppsc.gov.in. Successful candidates shall be required to fill up an PSCSCCE Exam Application Form for taking PPSC Main Competitive Examination 2012. The Punjab State Civil Service Exam 2012 Application Form shall be available on the website of the Punjab Public Service Commission immediately on declaration of the result of the PSCSCCE Preliminary Competitive Examination 2012. Any candidate who fails to apply for the PPSC Main Competitive Examination within the specified time period along with requisite fee shall not be allowed to take PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination 2012.
3. Detailed instructions regarding the conduct of the PPSC Main Examination i.e. Schedule of Exam, venues, timings etc. shall be announced prior to holding of the PSCSCEE Main Competitive Examination 2012.
4. The PPSC Civil Service Exam Syllabus of various subjects along with the permitted combinations of subjects to be taken by the candidates is available on the website of the Punjab Public Service Commission.
5. The candidates while applying for PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination are required to submit attested photo copies of following documents :
- Date of birth certificate as specified.
- Degree Certificate.
- Proof of Punjabi pass of Matric or its equivalent standard.
- Detail Marks Card of graduation.
- Reserve Category Certificate issued by the competent authority in support of their claim.
- ESM / LDESM Punjab Certificate.
- Bank Draft for submitting requisite fee.
- Three attested passport size photographs identical to the ones submitted for the Preliminary Competitive Examination.
Those candidates called for the viva voce test shall be required to present the original certificates for verification by the Punjab Public Service Commission at the time of viva voce test.
Structure of the PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination 2012 :
1. The compulsory and optional subjects and the maximum marks fixed for each subject for the PPSC main competitive examination shall be as shown in the table below :
|II||Punjabi ( in Gurmukhi Script )||100|
|III||Essay (To be attempted either in Punjabi or English) (Gurmukhi Script)||100|
|IV||General Studies Paper I||100|
|V||General Studies Paper II||100|
|VI||Optional Subject I, Paper I||100|
|VII||Optional Subject I, Paper II||100|
|VIII||Optional Subject II, Paper I||100|
|IX||Optional Subject II, Paper II||100|
2. The PSCSCCE Main Examination is intended to assess the overall intellectual traits and depth of understanding of candidates rather than merely the range of their information and memory. Total number of PPSC Exam questions in the question papers of optional subjects will be eight. All questions will carry equal marks. Each paper will be divided into two parts, viz. Part A and Part B, each part containing four questions.
3. Out of eight questions, five questions are to be attempted. In each part there will be a compulsory question. Candidates will be required to answer one more question out of remaining three questions in each part. In this way, at least two questions will be attempted from each Part i.e. one compulsory question and in addition one more question. The candidate may attempt the fifth question from any part.
4. The scope of the PPSC Exam syllabus for optional subject papers for the examination is broadly of the honours degree level i.e. a level higher than the bachelor’s degree and lower than the master’s degree. In the case of Engineering, Medical Science and Law, the level corresponds to the bachelor’s degree.
5. The PSCSCCE main competitive examination shall include compulsory and optional subjects and every candidate shall take all the compulsory subjects and two of the optional subjects, except for Ex – servicemen candidates, who are exempt from taking optional subjects. A candidate shall specify in his application form the optional subjects he / she desires to take.
6. The PSCSCCE main examination will consist of PPSC written examination and a viva voce ( interview ) test. The Punjab State Civil Service written examination will consist of nine papers of conventional essay type in the subjects listed in the syllabus.
7. A candidate shall answer the PPSC Exam question papers other than the language paper, in English or in Punjabi language.
8. No candidate shall be eligible to appear in the viva voce test unless he obtains 45 per cent marks in the aggregate of all subject including at least 33 per cent marks in Punjabi ( in Gurmukhi Script ) :
- provided that if at any main competitive examination a sufficient number of candidates do not obtain 45 per cent marks in the aggregate, the Punjab Public Service Commission may at their discretion lower this percentage to not below 40 per cent, percentage for the language paper, i.e. Punjabi in Gurmukhi Script, remaining unchanged.
9. No candidate shall be considered to have qualified in the PPSC main competitive examination unless he obtains at least 45 per cent marks in the aggregate in all subjects including viva voce except in the case of any PSCSCCE main competitive examination for which this percentage has been lowered to not less than 40 per cent by the Punjab Public Service Commission under the proviso to regulation in which case the qualifying percentage shall be as determined by the Punjab Public Service Commission.
10. If a candidate’s handwriting is not easily legible, a deduction which may be considerable may be made on this account from the total marks otherwise accruing to him / her.
11. Credit will be given for orderly effective and exact expression combined with due economy of words, in all subjects of the PSCSCCE Examination 2012.
12. Ex – servicemen category candidates are required to appear only in the Compulsory subjects, i.e., Paper I, II, III, IV & V. However, LDESM category candidates shall have to appear in all the papers, including optional subjects.
13. The candidates must list, in order of preference, in the space provided in the PSCSCCE Exam 2012 application form for the PPSC Main Competitive Examination the service / post they wish to join.
14. The candidates securing the highest aggregate marks in the written part of the PPSC Main Competitive Examination, numbering not more than three times the number of PSCSCCE vacancies, shall be called for the viva voce test. In the event two or more candidates are tied at same rank then the order of merit shall be determined in accordance with highest marks secured in viva voce. However if the candidates are tied at the same rank even after considering marks secured in viva voce, the older candidate shall be given preference.
15. Candidates shall specify in their PPSC Exam application form 2012 the optional subjects they desire to take.
No change in the choice of options will be permitted under any circumstances.
16. The PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination shall include Compulsory and Optional Subjects as under :
(A) List of Compulsory Subjects :
- Punjabi ( in Gurmukhi Script )
- General Studies Paper – I
- General Studies Paper – II
(B) List of optional subjects for PSCSCCE Main Examination 2012 :
|Sl. No.||Subject||Subject Code||Sl. No.||Subject||Subject Code|
|2||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science||32||15||Mathematics||45|
|7||Commerce and Accountancy||37||20||Political Science and International Relations||50|
|9||Electrical Engineering||39||22||Public Administration||52|
|13||Law||43||26||Literature of one of the following Languages : Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit,Urdu or English.||56|
(i) Candidates shall not be allowed to offer the following combinations of subjects :
- Political Science and International Relations and Public Administration ;
- Commerce and Accountancy and Management ;
- Anthropology and Sociology ;
- Mathematics and Statistics ;
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science ;
- Management and Public Administration ;
- Of the Engineering subject viz., Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering not more than one subject ;
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science and Medical Science.
(ii) The PPSC Exam question papers for the examination will be of conventional ( essay ) type.
(iii) Each paper will be of three hours duration. Blind candidates will, however, be allowed an extra time of thirty minutes at each paper.
(iv) Candidates will have the option to answer all the PSCSCCE Exam question papers, except the language papers viz., Papers I and II above in Punjabi or in English.
(v) Candidates exercising the option to answer Papers III to IX in Punjabi language, may, if they so desire, give English version within brackets of only the description of the technical terms, if any, in addition to the version in Punjabi language.
(vi) The PPSC Exam question papers other than language papers will be set both in Punjabi and English.
(vii) The Compulsory papers of Punjabi and English will be of 10 + 2 or equivalent standard.
(viii) For the Language papers, the script to be used by the candidates will be as under :
Viva Voce :
1. Candidates up to three times the number of PPSC vacancies shall be declared qualified for each category to take viva voce test.
2. The viva voce test shall be conducted by an Interview Board composed of the Chairman and the Members of the Punjab Public Service Commission which may include an outside expert. More than one Interview Boards may be set up to interview candidates. In the event of an Interview Board not being headed by the Chairman of the Punjab Public Service Commission, the senior most Member shall be the Chairman of the Board.
3. Honesty and spontaneity of candidate’s responses to the Punjab PSC Civil Service Exam questions will be gauged by the interview panelist, who would be looking to judge confidence, communication skills, mental alertness, logical thinking, of judgment ability and leadership qualities of the candidate.
4. The technique of the PSCSCCE interview will not be that of a strict cross examination but of a natural, though directed and purposive conversation, which will be intended to reveal the mental qualities of the candidate.
The PPSC interview test is not intended to be a test either of the special or general knowledge of the candidates, for which the candidate should have been already tested through their written papers. Candidates are expected to have taken an intelligent interest not only in their special subjects of academic study but also in the events which are happening around them both within and outside their own State or country as well as in modern currents of thought and in new discoveries which should rouse the curiosity of well educated youth.
Special Instructions for the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police :
1. The candidates who opt for the Punjab Police Service and who qualify the PSCSCCE Main Competitive Examination shall have to qualify the physical test as per rule 7 (1) of the Punjab Police Service Rules-1959 read with Notification No. 1/146/94-1H3 (Part-II)/ 1743 dated 09/7/2009, Each candidate is required to fulfill the following physical standards :
|Minimum Height||Chest Measurement|
|Men||Women||Applicable for men only|
|5 feet 7 inches||5 feet 3 inches||33 inches||34.5 inches|
2. Besides the above requirement, the candidates have to qualify the Physical Test for the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police in the following events also :
|Sl. No||For Male Candidates||For Female Candidates|
|1||1600 meters race to be completed within 07 minutes 30 seconds ( only one attempt ).||800 meters race to be completed within 04 minutes 45 seconds ( only one attempt )|
|2||Long Jump : Minimum 3.80 meters ( Three attempts only )||Long Jump : Minimum 3.25 meters ( Three attempts only )|
|3||High Jump : Minimum 1.15 meters ( Three attempts only )||High Jump : Minimum 1.0 meter ( Three attempts only )|
|4||Vertical rope : 2.0 meters climb from the ground ( one attempt only )||shuttle : Running between two parallel lines 10 meter apart, five times in 25 seconds ( one attempt only ).|